There is new alarm around microplastics because, according to some recent studies, they would have been found in the blood of humans. Let’s explain.

microplastiche-sangue-umano Microplastics in human blood, is it alarm?

Self- cleaning lungs

Already 20 years ago, scientists had proven that fine particles we breathe can enter the bloodstream, such as dust, pollen, viruses and bacteria.
In our body here are special cells called macrophages, dedicated to engulf them and transport them away to keep out lungs clean.

Amount of plastic particles in human blood

How many microplastic particles have scientists found in huma blood?
1 part per million. And they had to make the search tools more sensitive to be able to locate even just this part.

Dust kills more than micro-plastics

Breathing in a large amount of foreign particles is harmful to human health.
The World Health Organization (OMS) estimated that, during 2012, ambient air pollution was responsible for 3.7 million annual deaths (representing 6.7% of total deaths).
Microplastics are the 0.03% of the total dust, much less than the amount of flour we inhale while kneading a pizza (and this is harmful to our health).

Are the microplastics inhaled by humans toxic to the health?

The question is lawful and the World Health Organization (OMS) declares that, to date, “there is no related indication of adverse effects on human health and no evidence to indicate a concern for human health”.

If plastics are 0.03% of the dust we inhale, does the remaining 99.97% contain something harmful to us?

No one has ever questioned it but, for example, the dust is known to contain about 25% quartz which has been shown to cause cancer in humans when breathed in.
Heavy metals, soot and wood dust can also be toxic. The paper is
made of wood dust so when it degrades, there is a potential danger because toxins are released.


Beyond the sensational headlines that aim to generate traffic on sites and direct public opinion, it is necessary to pay due attention to any element that contributes to our health, giving each one the right weight.
Also in this case, data in hand, the demonization of plastic is unjustified.

We want to provide information with a point of view as “scientific” as possible, in order to act consciously for the good of the environment and human health.

Here the original article by Chris DeArmitt